Backdating capital allowances

However, residents in France from the EEA who are not affiliated to the French social security system are now exempt from the social charges, but subject to a 'solidarity tax' () at the rate of 7.5%.

This clearly applies to residents who are in receipt of an S1 certificate of health entitlement.

Once again, non-residents from the EEA benefit from a lower rate, as they are also exempt from the social charges, but pay the solidarity tax of 7.5%.

In addition to the basic rates of capital gains tax, since 1st January 2013 a supplementary rate of tax is also payable on large gains.

However, you can read more about the taxation and other implications of buying and selling property held in an SCI in our Guide to Société Civile Immobilière (SCI).

In the case of former residents of the UK resident in France a tax treaty signed between France and UK, operative from 1st January 2010, makes you liable for capital gains in France on the future sale of your former home.

You will be entitled to the same relief on French capital gains tax as you would otherwise receive if the property was located in France.

( For each tax band there is a dampening mechanism to reduce the level of the charge for the first €10,000 of gain in that band.

Your notaire will advise you on the precise calculation.

Leave a Reply